Tears as Mother, 7-Yr-Old Daughter Die As Fire Razes Building In Ogun

CHIBUZOR ALLI

It was a Sorrowful on Saturday for residents in the Ibafo area of Ogun State following a gas explosion that razed a four-room building killing a 40-year-old woman, Rafiat Sheriff, and her seven-year-old daughter, Asisat.

Two people including the deceased third son who was also affected were immediately rushed to the hospital.

It was gathered that the deceased instructed her daughter to light the gas cylinder to prepare their evening meal when the incident occurred around 8:30 p.m.

 A neighbour identified only as Abiodun reportedly told the police that the gas cylinder burst into flames when the child was trying to light it.  
A police document provided to our correspondent cited Abiodun as saying that the entire apartment was consumed by fire, leading to the deaths of the mother and her seven-year-old daughter.
 
However, when our correspondent visited the scene on Sunday, the eyewitness narrated a different report of the incident.

Our correspondent saw the carcass of the woman and her daughter burnt beyond recognition while efforts were been made to evacuate the corpses.

There was also no presence of Fire Service or Security Personnel at the time of the visit while it was gathered that the fire was put out by people in the community.

The corpses were however evacuated by some of the relatives and taken out for burial.

A neighbour and friend of the deceased, Mrs Juliana Augustine explained to our correspondent that the woman died in the fire while trying to rescue her daughter.

She said, “Someone was cooking and the petrol spilled on the ground, she was trying to clean it when things went out of control.

“Her daughter was inside the room. She had pushed others out but later remembered that the daughter was inside. She went in to rescue her but could not come out again. There was an explosion.”

She further disclosed that two people including the deceased third child were rushed to the hospital.

She added that they were earlier rejected in two hospitals because of the severe injuries they sustained.

One of the tenants, Mrs Endurance Isaiah told our correspondent that all her property was destroyed in the inferno.

She said, “I was inside the room with my baby when I heard a noise. I came out and asked her (deceased) what was happening and she told me that it was petrol that poured on the floor. So I went back inside, and suddenly I heard the blast. I carried my child and ran out when I saw the smoke.

“Everybody was running to see how we could save the situation but we were all females.

“All our property except this cloth and my daughter is wearing have been destroyed.”

She added that the deceased pushed others out of the room but could not save herself and her daughter.

The spokesperson for the command, Omolola Odutola, who confirmed the incident, said, “The incident occurred last night when the mother told her seven-year-old daughter to cook. The girl was attempting to light up the gas cylinder when the entire house went up in flames.
 
“The mother and the child lost their lives in the explosion. Two other girls, including one of the children of the deceased, are currently receiving treatment in the hospital at Divine Touch Hospital in the area.”

About Correspondent

Check Also

Kaduna Orders Probe into Alleged Brutalisation of Dan Balki Commander

By Lami Victor, KADUNA | The Kaduna State Government said it has ordered investigation into …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *